Re: RH and GNOME

On Thu, Jul 23, 1998 at 09:10:07AM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jul 1998 fog@irfmn.mnegri.it wrote:
> >
> > Wouldn't be better to write a menu method that builds gnome-panel dir
> > hierarchy (I don't know about kpanel) from the standard menus? (Like the
> > other wm-specific methods do.)
> >

> Sure, that's a fine and already-existing short-term solution for Debian
> but it sucks compared to a standard menu system across several programs
> and distributions. A standard menu system would be a root-cause solution
> rather than a quick-fix: cut down on wheel reinvention and improve
> compatibility (e.g. between rpm and .deb).
>
> For example, Gnome has a program to graphically edit the menus. It will
> not work with the Debian menu system. In fact the Debian system will
> probably break the GUI-created menus, or vice versa. It would be better to
> have one menu format and one GUI menu editor.

Not necessarily. It's enought to have the menu method put all its stuff
under a Debian top level menu and leave all the other stuff to the
gui-menu-builder. What I don't like at now is to have lots of entries
that don't work because I didn't installed all the gnome packages.

> This is really a wider problem of every program inventing its own annoying
> file format. This is my pet peeve. Perhaps the Gnome config libraries
> should be enhanced a bit, put in a separate package and made available for
> use in all kind of programs.

And modify every single program out there? I think our menu system is
pretty good as it is at now. If I alienize and install an rpm I can
always create a local menu-entry. It's so easy that every sysadmin
can do it if in need.

Ciao,

* Federico DI Gregorio ** GCS/S/>L d- s:>:+ a26 C++ UL++ P+++ L*+++>$ D *
*   <fog@debian.org>   ** W+>++ N+ o? !K w--->!$ O M- V-- PS+(+++) PE(--)
*   Debian Developer   ** Y+(-)(+)(-)... PGP+ s+ 5- X+++ R*<+(+++) b+++ *