Re: RH and GNOME

On Thu, 23 Jul 1998 fog@irfmn.mnegri.it wrote:

> Not necessarily. It's enought to have the menu method put all its stuff
> under a Debian top level menu and leave all the other stuff to the
> gui-menu-builder.

It's not set up to work that way now, though some progress has been made
in the last few days by the Gnome panel guys.

> What I don't like at now is to have lots of entries
> that don't work because I didn't installed all the gnome packages.

Only the entries for the packages you did install should be installed. If
this isn't the case it's a problem with the .debs, not Gnome.

> > This is really a wider problem of every program inventing its own annoying
> > file format. This is my pet peeve. Perhaps the Gnome config libraries
> > should be enhanced a bit, put in a separate package and made available for
> > use in all kind of programs.
>
> And modify every single program out there?

Nah. Just make it available for new programs. It's enough work to write
LinuxConf modules etc. for existing stupid file formats; no need to make
everyone chase still more stupid file formats as time goes on.

I think WindowMaker also has a machine-manageable file format library.

Both the Gnome and WindowMaker systems are editable by hand as well as
machine.

> I think our menu system is
> pretty good as it is at now. If I alienize and install an rpm I can
> always create a local menu-entry. It's so easy that every sysadmin
> can do it if in need.

I agree it's pretty good, and it always will be to deal with applications
that use their own off-the-wall format for system menus. But it would be
nice to reduce the number of menu methods, and move toward
standardization, IMHO.

Havoc