Gnome menus

On Thu, Jul 23, 1998 at 09:10:07AM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > Wouldn't be better to write a menu method that builds gnome-panel dir
> > hierarchy (I don't know about kpanel) from the standard menus? (Like the
> > other wm-specific methods do.)
>
> Sure, that's a fine and already-existing short-term solution for Debian
> but it sucks compared to a standard menu system across several programs
> and distributions. A standard menu system would be a root-cause solution
> rather than a quick-fix: cut down on wheel reinvention and improve
> compatibility (e.g. between rpm and .deb).

I didn't think this was necessary or even a good idea until I finished
reading this message.  That was then.  Now?  Very good idea.  For all the
reasons you offer and the additional feature of being nice to the user.

> For example, Gnome has a program to graphically edit the menus. It will
> not work with the Debian menu system. In fact the Debian system will
> probably break the GUI-created menus, or vice versa. It would be better to
> have one menu format and one GUI menu editor.
>
> This is really a wider problem of every program inventing its own annoying
> file format. This is my pet peeve. Perhaps the Gnome config libraries
> should be enhanced a bit, put in a separate package and made available for
> use in all kind of programs.

I've been playing with gnome panel lately...  Useful.  I may stop using
Wharf for it at this rate.