Re: Better menu systems (was Re: RH and GNOME)

On Thu, Jul 23, 1998 at 11:07:43AM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:

> fog@irfmn.mnegri.it <fog@irfmn.mnegri.it> wrote:
> > Not necessarily. It's enought to have the menu method put all its
> > stuff under a Debian top level menu and leave all the other stuff
> > to the gui-menu-builder. What I don't like at now is to have lots
> > of entries that don't work because I didn't installed all the gnome
> > packages.
>
> This kind of implies that the gnome system have some way of rebuilding
> menus (perhaps tossing out entries which don't have an executable in path)
> on some reasonable scale.  Perhaps there could be some program to run
> to do this, or perhaps it could be part of the startup overhead for gnome.
>
> That's what you're thinking?

Definitely not. At now with gnome you get some default menus. They
miss a lot of debian packages and have some entries that can work
or not depending on what you have installed. If the menus are built
by a menu method (just like any other window manager menu) that's
right and enough for me.

Somebody (I don't remember if he was you) said that gnome has a
gui menu builder and he wants to use it. So I say: let's start with
an semi-empty gnome menu containing only the single debian entry
(with all the sub-menus) generated by the menu package and let the
user use the gui to add gnome-specific menus. I don't want the
changes propagate back to the debian menu system!

A nice solution would be to develop a gui to edit the personal
(debian) menu information in ~ (.menu?), generate the menus using
the debian menu system and abandon the gnome gui.

Ciao,

* Federico DI Gregorio ** GCS/S/>L d- s:>:+ a26 C++ UL++ P+++ L*+++>$ D *
*   <fog@debian.org>   ** W+>++ N+ o? !K w--->!$ O M- V-- PS+(+++) PE(--)
*   Debian Developer   ** Y+(-)(+)(-)... PGP+ s+ 5- X+++ R*<+(+++) b+++ *