Re: text adventures

On Wed, Jul 22, 1998 at 12:10:12PM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> > Do we really need to include the source of infocom text adventures to
> > put them in main (contrib, actually)? This is not the source code of a
> > program, I do not think we should require it.
>
> Of course it is.  The game is a compiled program, running under a virtual
> machine.
>
> If there is a bug in the game (a room that should not be connected to another,
> is, for example) how do we fix it, without the source ?
>
> If someone wants to write a similar game, they want to see the source.

Two points:

1. We do not bundle the Infocom games since most are non-free anyway.
There are no source code restrictions on the Infocom program itself.

2. I believe there are tools that allow others to write their own Infocom
parser-compatible games.  At the very least, the formats are well-known
and someone could do so if they desired.

If there are bugs in the games, too bad.  We don't distribute them anyway.
If there are bugs in the parser, they can be fixed.  We have source code.

Jeff