Re: RH and GNOME

re:
 - Raster's ego
 - not changing a gdkimlib #define to an enum for bogus reasons
 - not integrating other changes and patches
 - not increasing the major version number even though compatibility is broken
 - etc.

All this just makes me think a little less of Raster and Mandrake. I do
understand that they write interesting (good?) code. I understand that E is in a
state of high flux during development, and that they probably have bigger
worries than "little things."

Sure, I feel the same way when I develop. But, I always try to do "the Right
Thing." If that means eschewing the preprocessor or making something more
configurable, I will. Especially if others need that functionality to do their
work.

I haven't read "The Humble Programmer," but I do subscribe to its ideas. I can
take constructive criticism of my code. I document its shortcomings. I improve
it based on others' input. And I wonder sometimes why others get sore when I
criticize their work, rightly.

I just wish more Linux hackers were a little more "professional." There, that's
my rant.

--
SEGV
Homepage:         http://www.cgocable.net/~mlepage/