Re: RH and GNOME

> Changing licenses is not a concern.  RedHat is Linux based and likes the
> GPL.  It means that they are getting loads of software free and getting
> other people to debug most of it.  Same reason we like the GPL (and
> other DFSG things).
>
> However consider HTML.  It is a standard from W3org.  However both
> Netscape and M$ have added pieces to it.  HTML is still a free thing,
> however its direction is controlled by corporate forces.  You can choose
> not to use a M$ extension, but then everyone else uses it and you look
> out of touch, behind the times.
>
> This is my concern with projects like GNOME.  I am sure that RH will not
> do this.  However, I do see it with E and others.  Sure its free, but I
> can not influence its development (to a degree).  That is why I would
> like GNOME to be a less sponsored thing.  It does not even *look* like a
> corp can control it then.

Shaleh is taking the inside (more conservative) line, while I'm holding
the outside...

But instead of scoffing, think about what he says, and even to a degree,
what I say. I admit that much of what I say seems a bit paranoid, but it
comes from observations. It's the same analytical sense I use when playing
chess.

-Kysh