Re: RH and GNOME

On Tue, Jul 21, 1998 at 11:06:51AM -0700, David Welton wrote:
> What ever came of those discussions regarding dpkg and rpm?
>
> It really seems to me like redhat is on our side, just approaching
> things from a different angle.  If people want to pick on
> distributions, go after the ones who are not commited to free
> software, like Caldera and Suse.

<MODE AOL="me too">Agreed!  Redhat is committed to making a profit but at
least they are committed to making it from a more service standpoint than
from a closed standards and proprietary software standpoint.</MODE>

> That Redhat has spent a large quantity of money and time on Gnome is
> proof enough for me of their commitment to free software.  It would
> have been *much* easier to spend a few thousand for a commercial Qt
> license.

We still need to keep on our toes.  I think we need not worry too much now,
but I suggest keeping an eye on Redhat.  I suggest keeping at least 3 eyes
on M$.

> It would be cool if we could work more closely in the future.  We both
> have things that the other lacks...  \daydreaming{on}  it might be
> cool if debian acted as the "pool" of packages people talked about and
> that redhat, being the one more experienced with releases and getting
> things out on time, was the one to draw from that pool to produce
> releases \daydreaming{off}

...In a perfect world...