Re: RH and GNOME

On Tue, Jul 21, 1998 at 08:10:19PM +0100, Jules Bean wrote:

> If another system were proposed which encompassed
> our requirements, and enabled us to share packages with RedHat, that would
> be a *huge* advantage.

I question this. Only the technical possibility to install packages from
another distribution is not enough to make everyone happy. It is indeed
already possible. It has to be accompanied by a policy. As Debian prefers
technical correctness, but has little voice in this bad world, it would
still be a conflict. And people would *think* they can swap packages, which
is quite confusing.

At the current state, I can see no benefit in a unified package format for
Debian. I could see why RH user want to use Debian packages instead of the
packages in their contrib section, though :)

> It is my opinion - and I have seen this backed up on debian-private - that
> there is no place in debian for anti-redhat feelings.

I agree. Kysh, please calm down.

Marcus