Re: package formats (was Re: RH and GNOME)

On Sun, Jul 26, 1998 at 10:35:04AM +0100, John Lines wrote:
> > You mean /etc/init.d/* and update-menus?  Granted I think the init.d stuff
> > should NOT be written to /etc/init.d/ directly but use something like
> > update-initd and something similar to make the runlevel symlinks.  It
> > doesn't matter where a dist puts things if all it doesn't put them anywhere
> > directly.
> >
> I mean that a true common package format would imply standardisation of
> all the components like update-menus.

The suggestion of making use of the menus found in gnome-panel or similar to
them enough that either we or they could adapt to it is a Good Idea.  Less
wheel-reinvention that way.

> > > Having said that I think that it would be great to identify which bits are
> > > well defined, but the format should be designed in the knowledge that new
> > > things (standard icon for the package ? etc) may be added later.
> >
> > You are aware of how Debian organizes its packages?  Why you'd want an icon
> > in the package I don't know, but there's room for one.
>
> I am aware of how Debian organises its packages, the point I was making is
> that standardising a package format will freeze the format at that point and
> if we adopt an LSB package format we may lose the ability to extend it in
> new directions since we will then no longer be standard.

Then we must do a good job of making sure that the standard is a good one
and it'll have to be change-able much as RFCs define protocols and
revisions.