Re: RH and GNOME

Kysh Dragon writes:
> > So far, Red Hat as been pretty consistent about licensing everything
> > with GNU's GPL. Considering some of the recent discussions here, they
> > might even be more solidly in support of GNU's GPL than we are.
>
> Are you mad? RedHat doesn't even acknowledge the GNU component of their
> system. `RedHat Linux', not `Gnu Linux'.
>
> I trust RedHat about as far as I can spit, and not that far.

C'mon, please be fair.  RedHat produces GPL software.  RedHat produces
a distribution of their own.  RedHad makes even more people use Linux
instead of some commercial crap.  These things are GOOD.  So please
be fair.

It is a major win for Linux to have a variety of similar things.
You can chose between Debian, Redhat, SuSE, Slackware etc.  You can
chose between KDE and Gnome, you can chose between proftpd and wu-ftpd,
you can chose between in.fingerd, kfingerd and cfingerd etc. pp.  This
is a major win for all Linux (and Unix) users.  Please honor this.

> RedHat, being a commercial company with interests ranging only in making
> money (And to do this, they have to maintain their reputation -- which is
> why they want to come off as benifiting the free software community), is
> on no-ones side but their own.

This is the major concern on this topic.  Then again they've stated
that the RHAD labs are independet from the RedHat distribution.  Then
again they've also hired Alan Cox and the kernel still it not a RedHat
thing.

Regards,

	Joey

--
Those who don't understand Linux are doomed to reinvent it, poorly.