Re: RH and GNOME

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Kysh Dragon wrote:

> > So far, Red Hat as been pretty consistent about licensing everything
> > with GNU's GPL. Considering some of the recent discussions here, they
> > might even be more solidly in support of GNU's GPL than we are.
>
> Are you mad? RedHat doesn't even acknowledge the GNU component of their
> system. `RedHat Linux', not `Gnu Linux'.

Semantics.

> I trust RedHat about as far as I can spit, and not that far.

Your privilege. But when you talk like that, you aren't speaking for
Debian, just youself.

> > Personally, I'd like to see us working more closely with Red Hat.
> > But to do that, we'd need to come up with a package management system
> > that could work with packages from either system.  At the moment that
> > would mean dpkg being able to install both deb and rpm, transparently
> > (getting this to work would be easy compared to the prerequisite of
> > understanding dpkg as a whole and addressing its bugs and inefficiencies).
> > Of course, maybe Bruce will solve this by trumping both of us.
>
> I like the way someone else said it best... (Whoevers quote this is, I
> hope you don't mind me using it :) `The day RedHat switches to dpkg is the
> day we have a unifyed package format'.

That's bigoted.  We use dpkg at the moment because it has concrete
advantages over RPM.  If another system were proposed which encompassed
our requirements, and enabled us to share packages with RedHat, that would
be a *huge* advantage.

> > The strength of Linux is that we're a free software community.
> > That means the competition is non-free software, not free software.
> > Red Hat is on our side, I believe.  So is Cygnus.  So is FSF.
>
> RedHat, being a commercial company with interests ranging only in making
> money (And to do this, they have to maintain their reputation -- which is
> why they want to come off as benifiting the free software community), is
> on no-ones side but their own.

That is very nearly libellous.  There may well be some people in RedHat
who think like that.  And, yes, they need money to feed their families.
But they *do* release their distribution for free download, and they *do*
GPL the work they do.  So they are on our side.

> > For that matter, even non-free outfits (Corel, Caldera, Sun, Microsoft,
> > etc.)  can be on our side, though obviously some are much more helpful
> > than others.  [But that's another rather involved thread.]
>
> You -must- be joking.

He's not.  But I'm not going to bother to argue the point.  It seems
obvious enough to me.

It is my opinion - and I have seen this backed up on debian-private - that
there is no place in debian for anti-redhat feelings.  It's chauvinism,
really.  Sure, joke about them as much as you like - but I cannot agree
with the sentiments of your email.

Jules