Re: "dpkg --status" not sufficient.

On 17 Jul 1998, Rob Browning wrote:

> I've found that you can in fact call "dpkg --status" from within a
> dpkg maintainer script (postinst, prerm, etc.), but I was wondering if
> there was a more efficient way to get at its information.  Rather than
> do 20 invocations to get information about 20 packages, I'd rather
> just do one invocation that spits back 20 status entries.

For some time I have been thinking about finding someone to write an
'apt-info' program that would do basically what dpkg-awk, dpkg-perl and
all the various dpkg query functions in some way that was usefull for the
things we actually need.

I'm not going to write this, but if someone is interested I would be able
to help.

Jason