"dpkg --status" not sufficient.

I've found that you can in fact call "dpkg --status" from within a
dpkg maintainer script (postinst, prerm, etc.), but I was wondering if
there was a more efficient way to get at its information.  Rather than
do 20 invocations to get information about 20 packages, I'd rather
just do one invocation that spits back 20 status entries.

I figured that was just impossible at the moment, but thought it might
be worth double checking.

By the way, anyone that cares about package dependency information
during a dpkg run should be careful.  The "Depends:" field does not
reflect the version currently being installed until the *postinst*
step.