Re: kde/gpl discussion is silly

Hi,
>>"Andreas" == Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@dungeon.inka.de> writes:

 Andreas> we are no layers, but we can use something different than
 Andreas> law : common sence. i guess we have enough common sence, to
 Andreas> judge what will cause problems and what not.

	I think common sense dictates we stop distributing KDE
 binaries.

 Andreas> no kde author will ever sue anyone for useing qt. that
 Andreas> doesn't make sence.

	I don't know that. There are enough people doing crazy things
 to ever depend on this. In this world, you can't rely on the other
 gut to always act in perfect sense (what sense does it make for a
 school kid to walk through the cafeteria, pumping 51 shots into other
 students?).

	I certainly do not want Debian to incur liability just case we
 think the world is sensible (shudder).

 Andreas> it's not possibvle to use their software without qt. if you
 Andreas> realy want : write a mail "only to be sure: i may link it
 Andreas> with qt ?".

	Nope. If they really want us to distribute theor code. they
 can change the licence, or stop using QT. All the informal mail
 messages are not going to save us from third party lawsuits.  Even
 without the lawsuits, it just seems wrong to violate licences (and
 there has been enough debate here to lead me to believe that there is
 a distinct possibility that we could be doing that).

 Andreas> if you fear bigger problems, you shouldn't switch on a computer.
 Andreas> lets use common sence : why should anyone want to sue debian ?
 Andreas> a big company would be a much better target.

	I think that depending on this sentiment is playing russian
 roulette; and we should not be breaking any law, rather than
 consoling ourself that we are unlikely to be punished.

	manoj
--
 "The rotter who simpers that he sees no difference between a
 five-dollar bill and a whip deserves to learn the difference on his