Re: Debian i386 freeze

At 13:21 -0700 1998-07-17, Philip Hands wrote:
>Hm. Not convinced.
>
>The GPL is being applied to the binary, and thereby confers the right on those
>that receive the binaries to a) obtain full source upon request, and b) use
>that source to produce and distribute modified or derived programs.
>
>This is a right that isn't ours to give.

Just as another data point, I posted to the infernal KDE thread on
linux-kernel, and Alan Cox replied to me with this:

<<
From: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox)
Subject: Re: Linus Speaks About KDE-Bashing
To: jk@espy.org (Joel Klecker)
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 13:40:05 +0100 (BST)

> As long as they conform to the terms of the GPL. Linking GPLed code with Qt
> and distributing binaries of the result, violates the terms of the GPL, and
> only the copyright holder(s) can allow such violations to go unpunished.

Actually its more interesting legally. Because it is claimed to be GPL I as
the recipient of a license under contract (ie since I paid for the CD a
contract was formed) can sue the vendor for the GPL rights to Qt as a matter
of contract violating. Then when I win that I produce all the statements
from RMS and the like and sue them for gross negligence causing my business
harm and suffering.

The GPL is part of the contract, contract law protects rights too.

--
Joel "Espy" Klecker    Debian GNU/Linux Developer    <mailto:jk@espy.org>
<http://www.espy.org/>                          <ftp://ftp.espy.org/pub/>