Re: kde/gpl discussion is silly

don't worry. german law is different  from us, but it's better,
and there is no reason to worry.
i know that we are not doing everything ok, but we are doing best as possible,
and all major software companies, are doing far worse stuff than debian is
doing, and nobody cares about them.

> > we are no layers, but we can use something different than law : common
> > sence. i guess we have enough common sence, to judge what will cause
> > problems and what not.
>
> Yes, and distributing something when it's not completely clear that we
> have the right to is something that is rather likely to cause problems.

oh, no. do you realy want to go to rms and ask him to sign some paper saying
"emacs is released under gpl" ? unless you do, things are not completely
clear. but we can live with that situation, and it doesn't matter whether it's
emacs or kde. we know the people and they gave us a licence.

> The right you need to ask for is the right to distribute the binaries
> under terms where you don't have to guarantee that qt can be modified
> and redistributed.

we know that qt cannot be modified, and they know too.
and it is ok. they said it's ok. they said "please ship with kde".
hey: these people don't want that we ask them for some silly licences
to distribute kde linked with qt. they want everybody (includeing us) to ship
kde as binaries, with qt, runnable. so do this.

the whole discussion is only asking for trouble.
no single author said that we do anything wrong.  if you think that we are
doing something wrong, then go and find some author to proof this (good luck).

we all know now, that alan is good at creating panic.
but is there any program useing qt written by him ? i guess he would have
said, if this were the case. of course you can ask him.

so, stop the whole panic now, unless we have a real case.
several other companies are already shipping kde, without any problems.

andreas