Re: Possible Show-Stopper bug in X

On 16 Jul, Ben Gertzfield wrote:

>     stephen> I thought I'd ask about this before I submit a bug report
>     stephen> with some horrible severity rating on it....
>
>     stephen> Earlier this week I upgraded to X 3.3.2.2-1 on my laptop;
>     stephen> X immediately stopped working.  Yesterday, a friend
>     stephen> upgraded to X 3.3.2.2-2 (also on a laptop), and it
>     stephen> stopped working for him also.  However, I checked my
>     stephen> desktop system after this and discovered that I had
>     stephen> already upgraded it to 3.3.2.2-1, and it has (apparently)
>     stephen> no problems.  Both use the svga xserver.  So I'm confused
>     stephen> about the severity level of this bug.
>
> It seems the symlink from /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc to ../Xsession
> disappeared in 3.3.2.2-2.
>
> Try making that symlink again and see if X starts working again.
>
> Ben

Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, the symlink is there.  And
for the earlier suggestion to check /var/log/xdm-errors, the only error
indicated is that the X server terminated unexpectedly.

Additionally, I found myself forced to reinstall from scratch (the HP
"recovery" disk apparently thinks "recover" == "delete all partitions"
:-(

One of the things I found is that one of the scripts in the xbase
package doesn't work very well on a clean install (I think it is the
preinst script).  While checking to see what it should clean up for an
upgrade, it tries to move files that don't exist (yet) and therefore
fails, so dpkg won't even unpack it completely.
--
Stephen Ryan                   Debian GNU/Linux
Mathematics graduate student, Dartmouth College