Possible Show-Stopper bug in X

I thought I'd ask about this before I submit a bug report with some
horrible severity rating on it....

Earlier this week I upgraded to X 3.3.2.2-1 on my laptop; X immediately
stopped working.  Yesterday, a friend upgraded to X 3.3.2.2-2 (also on
a laptop), and it stopped working for him also.  However, I checked my
desktop system after this and discovered that I had already upgraded it
to 3.3.2.2-1, and it has (apparently) no problems.  Both use the svga
xserver.  So I'm confused about the severity level of this bug.

The symptoms are that xdm goes into its little infinite loop; startx
and xinit both complain "Can't connect (error 111)".  X or XF86_SVGA
crash with a Bus Error.  The Configuration file appears not to matter,
as this happens when trying to run XF86Config also.  Interestingly, I
get the same results from the VGA16 xserver as well.

Both laptops that have the crash have C&T 655xx video chips; the
desktop that works has a Matrox Millenium.

Any hints as to what to look for?  More importantly for right now, what
kind of severity is this bug?  (Obviously, it doesn't affect everyone,
or the mailing lists should be flaming right about now).
--
Stephen Ryan                   Debian GNU/Linux
Mathematics graduate student, Dartmouth College