Re: critieria for bug severity levels (was Re: Upcoming Debian 2.0 Release)

At 9:55 AM -0700 7/16/98, Joey Hess wrote:
>James Troup wrote:
>> Done and in Incoming.  (Though I really think holding up hamm over
>> this kind of trivial bug is pathetic; we need to some way to stop
>> people terrorizing releases with so-called release-critical bugs)
>
>I completly agree. I suggest that we require a justification of why a bug is
>critical/grave/important be including in the bug report, and if this
>justification is left out, the severity be downgraded to normal until someone
>provides one. The justifcation would be required to pick one of the points
>from http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer.html [1] and justify why the bug
>applies to that point.
>
>I don't see a good way to automate this though.

What about a seperate field?  If it's null, it can't be
critical/grave/important.  I do not know the bug system well enough to know
how much work this is, but it's one way of automating it.  I am sure there
are other ways too.

--
-- Grant Bowman                                   <grantbow@svpal.org>