Re: Upcoming Debian 2.0 Release

Brian White wrote:
> Okay, everybody...  It's about time to release!  However, the following
> "important" problems need to be solved first.  This first section of bugs
> are those that apply to packages essential to the shipping of the Debian
> distribution.  Until those bugs are fixed or downgraded in severity, we
> _cannot_ ship.
>
> Remember, the definition of "important" is that the distribution is better
> off without that package than with this problem.  In these cases, though,
> the packages are essential for the distribution.
>
> libreadline2      22941  libreadline2 depends on libc6 [48]  (Guy Maor <maor@debian.org>)

An NMU should be sufficient, right?

> binutils          23153  strip: stripped binary(executable) dumping core.  [42]  (Galen Hazelwood <galenh@micron.net>)

If we haven't fixed this already, I believe it's out of our scope and power
to fix it as it is an upstram bug.  What we can do is to allow core dumping
binaries to be released non-stripped.

> smail             23717  smail: smtp entry in inetd.conf gone after smail upgrade [26]  (Soenke Lange <soenke@escher.north.de>)

Huh?  This is an old bug.  My latest upgrades were 100% ok, no commented out line.
Can somebody else verfy that this is a non-bug?

> emacs20           24236  emacs20, postrm is broken.. [12]  (Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>)

Ouch!  Is a fix already out?  Who's going to do an NMU?

> xbase             24642  XF86Setup doesn't run: the file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc is missing [0]  (Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>)

Didn't we have a new XFree86 during the alst days?

> This next set of "important" bugs apply to those packages that can be removed
> from the distribution.  So, _tomorrow_, I will be removing these packages
> unless all release-critical bugs against them have been closed.  If you feel
> a package should be included in the distribution at all costs, please let me
> know.
>
> dhcp-beta         24442  /etc/init.d/dhcp-beta sources inexistent /etc/init.d/functions [0]  (Rich Sahlender <rsahlen@debian.org>)
> dhcp              24443  [SECURITY] dhcp: potential buffer overflow problems [0]  (Rich Sahlender <rsahlen@debian.org>)
> dhcp-beta         24445  [SECURITY] dhcp-beta: potential buffer overflow problems [0]  (Rich Sahlender <rsahlen@debian.org>)

Yann or Enrique will upload an NMU but Klatu said he'll upload it. Please be careful with this.

> roxen             24473  user &lt;!--#exec cmd=&quot;script&quot;--&gt; runs as root [0]  (Martin Schulze <joey@debian.org>)

This one is fixed and will be uploaded tonight.  I'm waiting for another hint from
upstream to include that patch.  If it doesn't come within hte next minutes I'll
start compiling and will upload it approx. 1h later.  Yes, it takes that long...

> boot-floppies     24634  the 'Admin' profile includes 'raidtools' which cannot be installed [0]  (Enrique Zanardi <sr1-boot-floppies@debian.org>)

Enrique will upload (no, he has already, right?) a new set.

> kdebase           24643  kdebase: We have no licence to distribute KDE binaries when linked against Qt [0]  (Stephan Kulow <coolo@kde.org>)

Well...

> Hamm has been delayed for too long already.  Let's get this done.

Correct.  Thanks.

Regards,

	Joey

--
The MS-DOS filesystem is nice for removable media.  -- H. Peter Anvin