Re: BUG FOUND: Re: Potentially serious problem with kernel-headers...

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Brian White wrote:

> We are delivering a 2.0.34 kernel.  We're going to have to bite the bullet
> with this one and fix it in Slink.  I'd like to know the results of the
> source grep for HDIO_GET_IDENTITY, though.  I can't see that call being
> very common.
>

> > Brian, what do you think about this. Are we delivering 2.0.34 and 2.0.35
> > kernels? If we are, the current situation will result in several broken
> > packages. If we aren't it can wait til slink. It looks like we can loose
> > either way. The current situation has "known" problems, while the repaired
> > situation would have "unknown" ones.
>
> Plus we'd there would be a number of package recompiles, then possibly
> recompiles of those packages that depend on them, plus the other archs
> would need to recompile...  That could take weeks on its own, not even
> counting the time needed to fix any bugs that crop in.

Both H.J. and Ulrich suggest that there is no problem moving to the 2.0.34
headers as they both build their glibc against 2.1.x kernel headers with
no problems.

I agree, however, that now is not the time to "fix" this. Slink will be a
natural place to switch kernel headers. The few packages that are broken
in this fashion only need to build against 2.0.34 headers to deliver
functional programs.

Luck,

Dwarf