Re: Status of qmail?

On Wed, Jul 15, 1998 at 11:18:06PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
[..]
> It must be damn good software. I will just stick with smail here,
> or change to exim or sendmail if I can get it done painlessly
> enough in a couple of hours.

It is.  No other MTA I've used--not sendmail, not smail, not exim--is as
easy to install, operate, and maintain.  The program is idiotproof once it
is installed--though you CAN break it by moving around /var while messages
are in the queue.

It's faster, safer, easier to use, and it has brainless maintenance.  What
more could you ask for?  <g>  Well, you could wish it were DFSG free so it
could go into main, but if that cannot happen then it cannot happen though I
personally do consider it free software in that I can use and patch it
locally, and I can share my source patches with others, etc..  It's NOT free
enough for Debian to be able to put it in main though.

Naturally, the moment I see a MTA which I could put into main which is as
easy and as secure/reliable which was DFSG free, I'll be happy to switch and
suggest others using qmail do the same.  That program's not here yet though.