Re: Single-user vs multi-user system configuration suggestion

On Mon, Jul 06, 1998 at 07:36:01PM -0500, Mike Merten wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 06, 1998 at 11:21:57AM -0400, Stephen J. Carpenter wrote:
> >
> > Maybe a good idea would be to have a mechanism setup where any package
> > that will not work "out of the box" should send an e-mail message (maybe
> > have how the messgae is sent be configurable?) to the system admin
> > (or some pre-designated acount).
> >

> That's an interesting idea, but one that I don't think would be
> appropriate, for the simple reason that mail isn't available on
> a newly installed system (from floppy images, at least).  Perhaps
> a 'configuration' subdirectory under /usr/doc where copies of the
> installation notes from each package could be placed?

I realize this is an old topic, but I was just browsing my /var/log
directory (heh... had nothing else to do ;) and noticed that the
dpkg-mountable method to dselect logs the entire installation process
there.  After a huge update, install, whatever, you can browse it
at your leisure.  How much trouble would it be to get the other
dselect methods to do the same?

Mike