Re: Single-user vs multi-user system configuration suggestion

On Mon, Jul 06, 1998 at 10:33:11AM -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:

> This is about Debian's sometimes not-complete configuration on the grounds
> that a multi-user system shouldnot enable bells for all users.  I think
> that users would be better served if this behaviour were optional.

> Background:
>
>  When some packages are installed (e.g. AUCTeX), they are not enabled.
>  While enabling them may involve an easy step (e.g. adding `(require
>  'tex-site)' to ~/.emacs), the new users who want to try-out the package
>  may waste a lot of time figuring this out (and led them to believe that
>  Win98 is easier to setup than Debian).  The new users may also have just
>  installed 100 packages with dselect and have trouble keeping track of all
>  these tweaks that must be done by hand.

I think this is a very valid concern...and needs to be adressed. it is easy
to say that "It your fault...why didn't you RTFM", but when you first
install debian, or as you said you just installed 100 or so
packages...its sometimes hard to remember what was installed and what wasn't

> Proposed Solution:
>
>  I understand that on some Debian systems that are setup for multi-user
>  use, the admin may not want to force his or her choice on every user.  But
>  what if the initial configuration of Debian had a /etc/debian-configure-as
>  file (or any other name) that said "as single-user" or "as multi-user".
>  If single-user configuration were selected, then all packages like AUCTeX
>  could assume it safe and preferable to fully install themselves, making
>  the end-user's job much easier.

I think you are right in that something should be done....but I don't know
about this option.

There are more problrms available than this would solve, it is just not enough.
This brings more questions...
Do you want EVERY such package to do this? What about packages that don't
require special setup for the individual user but benefit from it?

Maybe a good idea would be to have a mechanism setup where any package
that will not work "out of the box" should send an e-mail message (maybe
have how the messgae is sent be configurable?) to the system admin
(or some pre-designated acount).

This message should include information on the package relating on how to
configure it, an example of how most people will configure it, and where to
look for more info (ie /usr/doc)

The upshot of this is that the person is given instructions on how to set it
up and knows why it didn't immediately do something. For a multi-user
system this would give the admin a starting point for letting all his users
know about the package and how they can set it up, should they want it.

An example that is related is my own package xfstt. It is completely useless
"out of the box". It is a truetype font server. The user needs to obtain fonts
before they can start it. THEN the xserver needs to be configured to use it.

This generally means adding a line to /etc/X11/XF86Config
This is the "Standard setup" for it...but there are cases where this isn't
desired or even helpfull. It is possible that the local system doesn't even
run X and it needs to be added elsewhere.

I think a mechaniosm to send a message to the admin is best...
my rational is this:
They chose to install the package, that means they want its functionality.
Since that is the case, if installing the package isn' enough to make it be
usefull, then the admin needs to know.

I think to truely make this easier, some sort of general configuration tool
(on the idea of dotfile generator) would be a good way to mak ethe
actual configuration itself easier

-Steve