Re: The XDM trap

On Tue, Jul 07, 1998 at 09:20:18AM -0400, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 06, 1998 at 03:43:57AM -0500, Kysh Dragon wrote:
> > > automatically via xdm. I answered yes (why not?). After that, I noticed, that
> > > setting up X did not work and the system was trapped:
> > >
> > > XDM tries to start X fails XDM tries to restart X fails XDM tries to
> > > restart X fails XDM tries to restart X fails XDM tries to restart X
> > > fails XDM tries to restart X fails XDM tries to restart ....  The monitor is switching continuously between graphical mode and text mode, login is impossible via console. If you are lucky, you have already a working network connection and can stop xdm via a remote login.
> >
> > This problem actually happens to a LOT of people, and absolutely freaks
> > newbies out to no end.
>
> It's also one of the few places old DOS habits can help you out---when that
> happens, I find it enough to just keep hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del until init
> catches it, and closes everything down.  Then reboot into single user mode.

You know...I actually had this problem once when I was a RedHat newbie...
Though I was running XDM et al and reompiled my kernel without
support for my mouse (oops).....did the same thing...
I did however manage to log in
you just have to time your keystrokes to match just as the text screen is
comming back.
After about 10 mins or so (assuming your password isn't TOO complex)
you can actually log in.
In the end I did the same (single user mode reboot)

Would it be possible to make xdm "give up" if it fails so many times
within a given short time period?
Afdter all...I can think of about a dozen reasons why this would happen
a simple mistake in XF86Config, no mouse driver (or mouse broken?),
even an unreachable font server will make most X Servers fail on startup

-Steve