Re: The XDM trap

The issue of XDM, and the way it can get into a cycle, continuously
starting the local X server, which then immediately crashes, has come
up before.  I'd like to mention that I mailed my own solution to this
problem to the bug tracking system some time ago; if you want the details,
look at my message in bug 15897.

My solution basically involves not having XDM start the X server at all.
After all, XDM should be doing its own job -- that of managing XDMCP
sessions -- and not trying do init's job too.  I start the X server from
init via a little script which also offers a choice of resolutions.
(This makes it easy to switch to 8bpp when I need it; I don't have to
go editing /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers just to get a different resolution.)

To get this to a point where it would be generally useful might take
a little work, and unfortunately I don't have the time now (I have a
PhD to finish off...)  If this strikes anyone else as a good solution,
then please feel free to try to work it into something suitable for the
xfree86 packages.

Thanks,

--
Charles Briscoe-Smith