Debian, clusters, Beowulf and similar

Hi all,

There has been some discussion on the beowulf mailing lists about
using Debian as a basis for Beowulf type machines.  A consensus
seems to be forming that Debian would be an appropriate basis
for clusters.

Most of the clusters out there at the moment run Red Hat:
software is downloadable in .rpm format to help you build your
cluster.

We have several of the fundamentals packaged for Debian already.

Mpich and pvm and ssh are ready done: I'm prepared to Debianise
as much of the rest as copyrights/time will allow or to act
as a tester/coordinator or whatever else is feasible.

Martin Wheeler (mwheeler@startext.co.uk) has galvanised me into
activity on this.  Apt is the _ideal_ packaging tool to allow
synchronous updates across large mirrors: it would be _incredibly_
useful if, immediately after slink is released, Ian Jackson and
Phil Hands can go to the UKUUG winter conference in December
and say:

Clustering ? Get your CD's here for SPARC/i386/Alpha.

I'll try and be there anyway because distributed computing and clustering
could be the killer application which will persuade people that
free software and open development can produce results they dreamed of
but couldn't afford commercially - no one can afford to reboot a 512
machine cluster because of commercial software problems on a daily basis !!

Please tell me I'm mad/duplicating effort/reinventing the wheel.  There
is an unmet demand out there: help Debian to fill it with rock solid
software for demanding customers with high ideals and high reliability.

Andy