Re: Debian, clusters, Beowulf and similar

Andrew M.A.Cater [Andy] wrote:
> There has been some discussion on the beowulf mailing lists about
> using Debian as a basis for Beowulf type machines.  A consensus
> seems to be forming that Debian would be an appropriate basis
> for clusters.

That's pretty cool.  Be assured that we'd appreciate this.  :-)

> Most of the clusters out there at the moment run Red Hat:
> software is downloadable in .rpm format to help you build your
> cluster.

The software is also available in source form, right?

> We have several of the fundamentals packaged for Debian already.

Cool.  What about distributing them within Debian?  If they use
a free license they even can go into the main distribution.  If
they're only useful for beowulf clusters we could add a section
'beowulf' for them.

> Mpich and pvm and ssh are ready done: I'm prepared to Debianise
> as much of the rest as copyrights/time will allow or to act
> as a tester/coordinator or whatever else is feasible.

Ok, you should consider signing up as official Debian maintainers
then in order to get this stuff into the distribution and to use
the advantage of thousands of testers and the bugtracking system.

Please find appropriate information on the following url:
http://www.de.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/developers-reference/

I'd suggest that you subscribe to debian-mentors@lists.debian.org
if you have questions concerning packaging and don't want to use
the following.  This list is for new maintainers who seek help with
initial packaging and other developer-related issues.

Those who prefer one-on-one help should also post to the list, and
an experienced developer will volunteer.  You can get online help
on IRC, too, if you join the channel #Debian on irc.debian.org.
Take a look at the support section on www.debian.org in order to
find out more information.

> Martin Wheeler (mwheeler@startext.co.uk) has galvanised me into
> activity on this.  Apt is the _ideal_ packaging tool to allow
> synchronous updates across large mirrors: it would be _incredibly_
> useful if, immediately after slink is released, Ian Jackson and
> Phil Hands can go to the UKUUG winter conference in December
> and say:
>
> Clustering ? Get your CD's here for SPARC/i386/Alpha.

*grin*

> Please tell me I'm mad/duplicating effort/reinventing the wheel.  There
> is an unmet demand out there: help Debian to fill it with rock solid
> software for demanding customers with high ideals and high reliability.

If you need or want software packaged but can't afford the time to do
it on your own, write to debian-devel and to wnpp@debian.org.  Often some
other maintainers pick the stuff and package it.

Regards,

	Joey

--
Never trust an operating system you don't have source for!