Re: Debian, clusters, Beowulf and similar

amacater@galactic.demon.co.uk (Andrew M.A.Cater \[Andy\]) writes:

> Hi all,
>
> There has been some discussion on the beowulf mailing lists about
> using Debian as a basis for Beowulf type machines.  A consensus
> seems to be forming that Debian would be an appropriate basis
> for clusters.

This is great!  I'll be setting up my own little cluster (three, maybe
four, dual PII's) in a couple of weeks, after I move to the College of
Charleston.  I was planning on using Debian for them, as I'm quite
comfortable with it and not comfortable with Redhat.  I don't have any
experience making debian packages, but I'm willing to learn or test!
An Extreme Debian distribution would be really great.

> Please tell me I'm mad/duplicating effort/reinventing the wheel.  There
> is an unmet demand out there: help Debian to fill it with rock solid
> software for demanding customers with high ideals and high reliability.

Especially after reading about all those poor Redhat users trying to
upgrade from 4.2 or something...Debian with apt will be *very* attractive!

--
Norris Preyer			(541) 962-3310 (office)
Physics Program			(541) 962-3873 (fax)