Re: Debian Free Software (FSF) or Open Source? (was Re; non-cd...)

Raul Miller wrote:

> Kevin Atkinson <kevina@clark.net> wrote:
> > I think you are taking this to an extreme. The chances of KDE
> > developers suing you are 1 in 1000000000000.
>
> It's not me I'm worried about. It's places like CompUSA or Caldera.

So you are saying KDE developers might sue CompUSA or Caldra?

> Or are you claiming that they didn't really mean what they wrote in
> their license?

Now the KDE Licence seems a bit foggy and that is something they need to
work on so they might not mean everthing they say.

But i do think Qt means what they say:
"You may copy this version of the Qt Free Edition provided that the
entire archive is distributed unchanged and as a whole, including this
notice.  You may use this version of the Qt Free Edition to compile,
link and run application programs legally developed by third parties."

By the first statement the debian Qt package is a violation of the
licence becuase it modifes the archive.  Putting it on a cd does not
violte the licence any farther.

> Or are you claiming Debian will never achieve that kind of acceptance,
> so why worry about it?

No.