Re: Debian Free Software (FSF) or Open Source? (was Re; non-cd...)

Kevin Atkinson <kevina@clark.net> wrote:
> So you are saying KDE developers might sue CompUSA or Caldra?

Nope.

I believe Caldera already distributes Qt, and I believe they paid
a licensing fee for the right.  Sounds like commercial software
to me.

I believe CompUSA would be in a similar position.

I believe you want Debian to become commercial software.

> > Or are you claiming that they didn't really mean what they wrote in
> > their license?
>
> Now the KDE Licence seems a bit foggy and that is something they need to
> work on so they might not mean everthing they say.

The KDE License is quite clear.

And it clearly conflicts with the Qt license.

> But i do think Qt means what they say:
> "You may copy this version of the Qt Free Edition provided that the
> entire archive is distributed unchanged and as a whole, including this
> notice. You may use this version of the Qt Free Edition to compile,
> link and run application programs legally developed by third parties."

And I do think the KDE license means what they say:
"    b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
    whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any
    part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third
    parties under the terms of this License."

and

"  6. Each time you redistribute the Program (or any work based on the
Program), the recipient automatically receives a license from the
original licensor to copy, distribute or modify the Program subject to
these terms and conditions.  You may not impose any further
restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted herein."

--
Raul