Re: Debian Free Software (FSF) or Open Source? (was Re; non-cd...)

On Sat, Jun 27, 1998 at 11:49:02PM -0400, Kevin Atkinson wrote:

> Ok the policy is good as a standard setting mile stone but not for
> creating the best distribution which is freely available.

I can't understand what you mean. Please elaborate.

The dfsg is the only thing that ensures that Debian is freely available to
everyone (and even more). The quality will be ensured by us developers.

Indeed the difference between Open Source and Free Software is only a
cosmetic one.

"Open Source" was made to sell Free Software to suits.

You may encounter other organizations, products and projects that carry the
word "Open" in their name. Quite some of the are far away from being open
(note spelling here).

This is the reason why some people still prefer the name "Free Software". It
is just for marketing reason and does not serve any technical purpose. The
thing is the same, the name has changed. So what?

Marcus