Re: Having a non-free and a non-cd branch?

Hi,
>>"Dan" == Dan Jacobowitz <drow@false.org> writes:

 Dan> Actually, I think there would be merit to this.  The problem with
 Dan> shipping contrib on CDs is that by definition  contrib packages can
 Dan> depend on non-free packages - so basically, the CD does not contain
 Dan> every package depended on by other packages.  We can't always resolve
 Dan> that, but where we can, we should.

	The *ONLY* reason for a package being in contrib is because it
 depends on non-free software. So any CD which contains contrib , by
 definition, does not contain every package that is required.

	The only way to satisfy the every package required is to *NOT*
 ship contrib <evil grin>.

 Dan> And as for the only reason to choose Debian being its devotion
 Dan> to free software - I disagree.  That's _not_ why I chose Debian.
 Dan> I chose Debian because I like the infrastructure and I like the
 Dan> way the system works.  I like the responsiveness to problems.  I
 Dan> like, horror of horrors, dpkg (at least compared to RPM).  Free
 Dan> software is not our only distinguishing mark.

	Well, your reasons for choosing Debian are your own -- and
 indeed, I shall fight for your right to choose debian for whatever
 reasons you wish.

	The question, however, is that of the intents of the people
 who work on and create Debian. You see, the DFSG is an encapsulation
 of our stance on the freedom of software. Not as rigid as that of the
 FSF -- but where we feld comfortable drawing a line in the sand and
 saying "Here we stand".

	manoj
--
 An object never serves the same function as its image -- or its
 name. Rene Magritte