Re: On java programs & main/contrib

On Sat, Jun 27, 1998 at 09:03:57PM -0400, Alex Yukhimets wrote:
> > > Can we please stop dreaming?
> >
> > Nope.
> > We use Linux.
> > Marcus
> > "I know I am a dreamer, but I'm not the only one!" --- John Lennon
>
> You know, I also use Linux - almost exclusively. And exceptions from this
> rule is Solaris which I administer at work.

Yes, I know. See, I didn't want to sound snippy. Your technical objections
are valid. Nevertheless, Linux is such an incredible project, and it is
true. If Java is really the revolution, there will be a complete free Java
suite, either by Sun or by other people. And people will develop and run
programs on it. It will probably not fully portable all the time, but not
everyone will care (Linux has the tendency to first try to comply to and
then to set standards).

However, if you agree or not, it doesn't matter. Either it will happen this
way or another, or it will be completely different. I don't know it. But
what I do know is that Free Software rules.

I know you like Motif. A lot of people like it. A lot of people like Gtk.
With Gtk--, free Qt programs will be available for Gtk now or later.

Although Qt and Motif are superior now --- this doesn't mean that they will be
better than Gtk all the time. I was told that Gtk-- has better signal handling
than Qt, for example.

There was a time when Linux was no more than a floppy disk which some crappy
hacks on it and a heart full of dreams. This wass only a few years ago.
Now, Linux is really awful, but the hearts are still full of dreams. What
will Linux (and Gtk) be in a few further years?

Probably this should be moved to private mail.

Marcus