Re: Base system tarball Q [XTerminal]

On Wed, Jun 17, 1998 at 02:08:05PM -0400, Avery Pennarun wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 1998 at 11:49:25PM -0400, sjc@delphi.com wrote:
>
> > I also found out that I hafta do a chroot . bash --login
> > once to get it to configure the base system (ie keymap stuff)
>
> You could copy /etc/resolv.conf and other config files out of the server's
> /etc directory.  Most of that should be correct (though you'll have to do
> something special for 'nameserver 127.0.0.1' obviously).

yes definitly...well really...I shouldn't need it...I mean...
I am just connecting to a host, once I have the IPs needed, what is the
nameserver needed for?

> I've done an X terminal on a single 1.44 MB floppy.  Almost all of the stuff
> on the base system is unnecessary: what you really need is a simple init
> system (calling ifconfig/route), libc, X, XF86Config, and rgb.txt.

wow...I never thought it would fit on 1 floppy...then again...
on my system X is only      4728 May  5 23:46 X
hmm but XF86_S3V is over 2 MB :( ohg well back to NFS root :)

as for the base system...I do that for flexibility...I mean what
if I decide tomorow I want more than X Terminals? maybe I want them to
be X Terminals...and PVM hosts :) just add the packages I need to the
"System" with chroot.

> Most of the useful tools you can use to set up the system can be found in
> the "busybox" package that comes on the Debian rootdisk.  Wonderful program,
> that one.

I will have to check that out...hmm busybox...where is that?

> That said, I've also made NFS-rooted X terminals and they're easily fast
> enough -- once X is loaded, there's no more "disk" access.  Mine went from
> zero to XDM in about 45 seconds (over an ARCnet network, which is slower
> than ethernet) and needed only 4 megs of RAM to run happily.

Nice nice...what type of systems they runnign on?

> It would be great to see a Debian package that set all this up.  It would
> also be quite nice to see busybox broken out into its own package.

yes It would...in any case I hope to make a little document and web page on
how to do it (I just love doing something and then documenting it
on a web page)

> I may be able to help if you run into any major problems setting up the X
> terminal.

thats good to know...I have it mostly ready at work now...
in fact I have a chroot'd shell..run X..which queries back to xdm
which is runnng on the same host (non-chroot'd) and an xfs (also
same non-chroot) Now all I need to do is get the NFS mount going and
try i twith a real second machine.

> Have fun,

I plan to :)..with all the problems ive solved..and all the games I have
played.... I never had as much fun with Windows as I do doing this stuff
with Linux

-Steve

--
** Stephen Carpenter ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** sjc@delphi.com **
"I am an agnostic; I do not pretend to know what many ignorant men are