Base system tarball Q [XTerminal]

I have been tossinbg around the idea of using Linux to take a small PC
(like a P100 or a 486) and setting it up as a glorified X Terminal.
I decided that since debian is clean, and what I use...I will base it
on debian.

I want to be able to have the system be diskless, and get its entire
running filesystem through NFS (that might be too slow? but maybe not?)
I figure for this I will need to roo tthe filesystem on NFS...not a
problem :).

anyway here was the idea and wehat ties into the subject:
for a base to start with I make a directory /exports/xterm
Then I untar the base tarball from hamm disks-i386 into it.
This gives me a nice base system to start with...I have some
problems though.

Ok I found out there is no resolv.conf (duh I know..that gets created by
a script when I configure the network...which obviously never happens)
I also found out that I hafta do a chroot . bash --login
once to get it to configure the base system (ie keymap stuff)

I also found out that once I do that and do a chroot . bash --login
I can install apt, and use dpkg/apt to my hearts content...I actually
have a functioning system to start with! (and with tht chroot environment
its almost like being on the new machine. Still working on setting up X)

Anyway...I am not terribly fammiliar with the base system, and I know
it is not made to be installed in this way, is there anything I should watch
out for? does this sound like a plan?

On first inspection the base system looks great, and this method should allow
me to just chroot and goto work with dpkg if I need to upgrade...
but is there something I am missing on my "first inspection"?

I was even thinking it woul dbe nice to be able to take this system and
break it down a bit (once its together) and intgrate it with debian
so that it would be trivial for someone else with a debian system to
add suport for this type of "Poor Man's X Terminal"
(That is BTW the title of the document I am writing up on how I am
doin gthis)

-Steve

--
** Stephen Carpenter ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** sjc@delphi.com **
"Maturity is often more absurd than youth and very frequently is most