Re: Base system tarball Q [XTerminal]

On Tue, Jun 16, 1998 at 11:49:25PM -0400, sjc@delphi.com wrote:

> Ok I found out there is no resolv.conf (duh I know..that gets created by
> a script when I configure the network...which obviously never happens)
> I also found out that I hafta do a chroot . bash --login
> once to get it to configure the base system (ie keymap stuff)

You could copy /etc/resolv.conf and other config files out of the server's
/etc directory.  Most of that should be correct (though you'll have to do
something special for 'nameserver 127.0.0.1' obviously).

I've done an X terminal on a single 1.44 MB floppy.  Almost all of the stuff
on the base system is unnecessary: what you really need is a simple init
system (calling ifconfig/route), libc, X, XF86Config, and rgb.txt.

Most of the useful tools you can use to set up the system can be found in
the "busybox" package that comes on the Debian rootdisk.  Wonderful program,
that one.

That said, I've also made NFS-rooted X terminals and they're easily fast
enough -- once X is loaded, there's no more "disk" access.  Mine went from
zero to XDM in about 45 seconds (over an ARCnet network, which is slower
than ethernet) and needed only 4 megs of RAM to run happily.

It would be great to see a Debian package that set all this up.  It would
also be quite nice to see busybox broken out into its own package.

I may be able to help if you run into any major problems setting up the X
terminal.

Have fun,

Avery