Re: Hamm CD layouts

> Has any consensus been reached about the best layout to be used for Hamm
> disks? I've written several 3-CD sets for people so far using a simple
> layout (below), but it would be nice to be able to produce to produce ones
> similar to the official ones...
>
> Disk 1:  Main binary  (i386, bootable)
> Disk 2:  Contrib, non-free and non-US (binary-i386 and source)
> Disk 3:  Main source (except X11, movesd to disk #2 for space reasons)

I think we need two layouts, one for the mass-production folks, and one for
the small run gold-CD-ers.

The mass production set should pack as much stuff onto as few CD's as
possible.  Apparently Andreas came up with a layout that gets the binaries
for the different architectures onto 4 CD's if he mixes architectures.

This would be good for the big run folks, but if you only want to burn a few
CD's for people that you know only want one architecture, then you would be
better off with a layout that segregates the architectures.

I would guess that most people that produce gold CD's have a mirror of the
parts of the ftp archive that they want to put on the CD's anyway, so they
would be best of using the standard scripts to produce their own CD images.

You can get Andreas's CD building scripts from:

  http://www.uk.debian.org/~aj/

BTW If you have a mirror of the ftp archive, but would like to be burning the
Official images once they are produced, you can save some bandwidth by
producing CD images locally, and then rsyncing them with the official images.

I'm not sure we really need ``Official'' versions of the layout aimed at the
small run gold-CD-ers, because most of them will want to add a few extra
packages of their own, or some such.

Cheers, Phil.
http://www.uk.debian.org/debian-cd/