Re: Hamm CD layouts

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Philip Hands wrote:

> > Disk 1:  Main binary  (i386, bootable)
> > Disk 2:  Contrib, non-free and non-US (binary-i386 and source)
> > Disk 3:  Main source (except X11, movesd to disk #2 for space reasons)
>
> I think we need two layouts, one for the mass-production folks, and one for
> the small run gold-CD-ers.

Yes, that makes sense.

[snip]

> I would guess that most people that produce gold CD's have a mirror of the
> parts of the ftp archive that they want to put on the CD's anyway, so they
> would be best of using the standard scripts to produce their own CD images.
>
> You can get Andreas's CD building scripts from:
>
>   http://www.uk.debian.org/~aj/

Ah, that's what I was looking for. Thanks.

> BTW If you have a mirror of the ftp archive, but would like to be burning the
> Official images once they are produced, you can save some bandwidth by
> producing CD images locally, and then rsyncing them with the official images.

Hmmm, yes. I wouldn't have thought of that myself. Now if only I can get
the company firewall to let me run rsync :-(

> I'm not sure we really need ``Official'' versions of the layout aimed at the
> small run gold-CD-ers, because most of them will want to add a few extra
> packages of their own, or some such.

Exactly. Most of the people I'm supporting with these disks can't live
without some of the non-free packages, for example. And ssh and friends
are a bit useful too.

--
Steve McIntyre
stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk