Re: Exciting Pilot/Debian news

Ben Gertzfield <che@debian.org> writes:

>     John> I'd like feedback on it.  I have opted to package it as it
>     John> is done upstream; that is, all the programs in one thing.
>
> Okay, here's a bit of feedback. :)
>
> prc-tools includes almost all of its files in /usr/m68k-palmos-coff/,
> except two:
>
> gilgamesh:/home/che# dpkg --contents prc-tools_0.5.0-2_i386.deb
>
> *snip*
>
> -rw-r--r-- root/root    142336 1998-06-16 13:54 usr/lib/libreadline.a
> -rw-r--r-- root/root     20270 1998-06-16 13:54 usr/lib/libmmalloc.a

This I've already fixed.  There is now an -2 or -3 or so release of
prc-tools in Incoming.  These are not actually for the Pilot; these
were built by gdb for i386, I believe, and AFAIK they are not
necessary for anything except building gdb.  My debian/rules has to
delete a lot of stuff like that from the stuff to be installed and I
happened to miss those two.

> This makes it impossible to install prc-tools if you have
> libreadlineg2-dev or any other package that has libmmalloc.a included
> (not sure what this is offhand).

Yeah.  I went through about 5 compiles of -1 before I thought I had it
cleared up.  And I still missed those two :-)  (At 30-40 mins per
compile [100+ meg source tree], that took awhile)

> These two should be moved into /usr/m68k-palmos-coff/.

Actually, they're deleted :-)

> This is a hard one; I think the point of a source package is to
> have *everything* you need to build the target. If you have to
> download other things, it becomes difficult quickly.

This is a good point.  Also I don't want 100+ meg of files cluttering
up my cvs tree.

> I'm not sure what the right solution is.

I think I know what it is now.  I want to make as few modifications as
possible to the upstream.  What it likes to do is untar  binutils,
gcc, and gdb; modify them; compile them; and then install them.  If I
were to include the modified gcc and gdb stuff (so that building the
package only requires compiling and installing), upgrades would be a
pain, and I worry about the ethics of including modified sources in
the orig.

Therefore, I believe that I will just dump the tar.gz's of binutils,
gcc, and gdb into the toplevel of the package's tar file (or maybe the
debian/ directory, I dunno), and then all I have to do is change the
path that it looks for them from .. to .

I have to use the very specific version that the prc-tools is contains
patches for; others won't work.  So there isn't really any good way to
share code with the native gcc packages -- the native ones usually
stay a few versions ahead.

John

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@complete.org |