Re: Exciting Pilot/Debian news

    John> Hi, I have now successfully built the GCC, gdb, binutils,
    John> etc. packages for Debian.  The package name is prc-tools and
    John> should be in Incoming by the time you read this.  It was
    John> quite a chore to package but it is quite exciting what can
    John> be done with it!

    John> I'd like feedback on it.  I have opted to package it as it
    John> is done upstream; that is, all the programs in one thing.

Okay, here's a bit of feedback. :)

prc-tools includes almost all of its files in /usr/m68k-palmos-coff/,
except two:

gilgamesh:/home/che# dpkg --contents prc-tools_0.5.0-2_i386.deb

*snip*

-rw-r--r-- root/root    142336 1998-06-16 13:54 usr/lib/libreadline.a
-rw-r--r-- root/root     20270 1998-06-16 13:54 usr/lib/libmmalloc.a

*snip*

This makes it impossible to install prc-tools if you have
libreadlineg2-dev or any other package that has libmmalloc.a included
(not sure what this is offhand).

These two should be moved into /usr/m68k-palmos-coff/.

    John> The upstream prc-tools consists of patches against gcc,
    John> binutils, and gdb plus its own software.  The prc-tools
    John> source package does not include the gcc, binutils, and gdb
    John> source itself.  Is this correct?

This is a hard one; I think the point of a source package is to
have *everything* you need to build the target. If you have to
download other things, it becomes difficult quickly.

I'm not sure what the right solution is.

--
Brought to you by the letters C and M and the number 2.
"It is sad. *Campers* cannot *dance*. Not even a *party*." -- Orz, SCII