Re: removal of dhcp-beta?

Hi Brian,

Brian White <bcwhite@verisim.com> wrote:

> There is a bug against dhcp-client-beta that is causing it to be removed
> from Hamm.  Should all "dhcp-beta" packages be removed or is omitting just
> this one okay?  I need to know asap.  Thanks.

The "important" or "critical" bug report is against dhcp-client-beta
that is part of the dhcp package from the ISC. Other packages that are
derived from ISC's dhcp are dhcp-relay-beta and dhcp-beta.

The bug report filed by Cristoph Lameter against dhc-client-beta says
that it is OK to leave dhcp-beta and dhcp-relay-beta.

Probably it is a good idea to move the dhcp-beta's to Slink but just
so we do not provide beta packages in our next stable release.

Now, there are some facts you need to be aware of:

1) The current stable release of DHCP from the ISC is dhcp-1.0.1.
However, the current version in Hamm of this package is broken and has
"important" bugs against it (I filed it).

2) When I upgrade from dhcp-1.0.0-3 to dhcp-1.0.1-1 dhcpd broke and
DHCP clients could not remove their leases. That's the reason I filed
the bug report against dhcp.

3) Given the above problem I installed dhcp-beta, and that solved my
problem. So, I consider dhcp-beta to be stable enough for a stable
release of Debian. I guess the same applies to dhcp-relay-beta.

Yesterday Joey sent me a patch for dhcp and I am about to try that in
a few minutes. If that solves the problem either I'll do a NMU or the
dhcp maintainer will take care of it.

Having said this, I think it is up to you (Release Manager) and the
dhcp* maintainer(s) to decide what to do.

Bye for now.

E.-

--

Eloy A. Paris