Re: Serious performance bug in Perl

'Darren/Torin/Who Ever... wrote:'

>Chris Fearnley, in an immanent manifestation of deity, wrote:
>>But yesterday I upgraded a bo system to hamm which has a 3000 line
>>/etc/passwd.  Now adduser takes OVER ONE MINUTE to find a UID and GID
>>for the new user.  And my staff is complaining about the wasted time.
>>
>>I fear that this perl bug is serious.
>
>Something is wrong with your installation or possibly libc.  I compiled
>perl-5.003_07 and perl-5.004_04 on a Solaris box with 5000 users.  The
>5.004_04 was somewhat faster.

Maybe it's a problem with perl on libc6 systems with shadow passwords???

It was a straightforward upgrade from bo.  I can't imagine how a
misconfiguration could cause this.  I have the latest of everything
relevant installed:

cjf@jaguar2:~$ dpkg -l libc6 perl passwd adduser
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
||/ Name            Version        Description
+++-===============-==============-============================================
ii  libc6           2.0.7pre1-4    The GNU C library version 2 (run-time files)
ii  perl            5.004.04-6     Larry Wall's Practical Extracting and Report
ii  passwd          980403-0.2     Change and administer password and group dat
ii  adduser         3.8            Add users and groups to the system.

cjf@jaguar2:~$ ls -l /etc/passwd /etc/shadow /etc/group /etc/gshadow
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root        48419 Jun 15 21:41 /etc/group
-rw-r-----   1 root     shadow      35754 Jun 15 21:41 /etc/gshadow
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       191178 Jun 15 21:41 /etc/passwd
-rw-r-----   1 root     shadow     124656 Jun 15 21:41 /etc/shadow

Could it be a problem with shadow passwords?

--
Christopher J. Fearnley          |  Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com                   |  Design Science Revolutionary