Re: Serious performance bug in Perl

On Mon, Jun 15, 1998 at 04:43:13AM -0700, Darren/Torin/Who Ever... wrote:
> Chris Fearnley, in an immanent manifestation of deity, wrote:
> >But yesterday I upgraded a bo system to hamm which has a 3000 line
> >/etc/passwd.  Now adduser takes OVER ONE MINUTE to find a UID and GID
> >for the new user.  And my staff is complaining about the wasted time.
>
> Something is wrong with your installation or possibly libc.  I compiled
> perl-5.003_07 and perl-5.004_04 on a Solaris box with 5000 users.  The
> 5.004_04 was somewhat faster.

I installed perl-5.003_07 (from bo - hence libc5) and modified adduser
to call it (instead of the default perl - 5.004.04-6).  Performance
improved several hundred-fold.  So I believe the problem is either in
perl or libc6.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this?  As I said before the slowdown
seems to occur in the get_current_uids subroutine (and possible
get_current_gids).  Which has a loop on getpwent (and getgrent).

Can anyone else duplicate this behavior?

--
Christopher J. Fearnley          |  Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@i21.com                      |  Design Science Revolutionary