Re: xntp3: init script is not very policy-compliant

Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> wrote:
> I've never had ntpdate ever work while xntpd is running, with the set
> options it never actually changes the time, I forget if it's a silent
> fail or if it gives some error.

Hmm.. and the system where I was running ntpdate in the background
(after I thought I had started xntpd, by the way) doesn't have a
running xntpd.

I guess it might be appropriate to run a meta-server (which would take
down xntpd when receiving an ntpdate request, then restarts xntpd (or
restarts it after a short delay if it stopped without authorization)).

I'm deferring further discussion of this for a bit, I think I've discovered
what I would think of as a bash (and ash, and ksh bug).

                               * * * * *

Briefly, this command line:
f=/tmp/fifo; rm -f $f; mkfifo $f; ( sleep 100 <$f 0>$f &);  sleep 2; echo >$f
will kill your interactive shell

I'm a bit surprised to find this, um.. undocumented feature in three
shells of supposedly different lineage.  I should note that it doesn't
affect bash (nor other shells) when I tried it under solaris.  I guess
it might be related to the kernel's handling of sigpipe.

Someone want to check to see if it's just me, before I go off and file
a whole bunch of bug reports?

--
Raul