Re: xntp3: init script is not very policy-compliant

Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> wrote:
> > I've never had ntpdate ever work while xntpd is running, with the set
> > options it never actually changes the time, I forget if it's a silent
> > fail or if it gives some error.

Harumph.

Personally, I've never seen ntpdate hang, I've only deferred it
because it's not useful until my ppp connection is up.

It's clear that xntpd should start after ntpdate -b has had a chance
to run.  If ntpdate really can hang, then perhaps the whole
bit with ntpdate, and starting xntpd should be backgrounded.

--
Raul