Re: Debian development modem

On Wed, May 27, 1998 at 02:27:30PM -0500, David Engel  wrote:
> No, what I'm suggesting is that in its current form, Debian is
> incapable of making a timely release, and until that changes, Debian
> will continue to flounder like it always has.

I agree. We know the symptoms. What about trying to identify the cause?

Hints:

1) Huge number of packages. Many of them not actively maintained. That
makes very difficult to achieve goals that involve a significant part of
the distribution, like moving the whole distribution to libc6 or the
upcoming transition to FHS. IMHO, Debian would greatly benefit by breaking
"main" in "main-core" and "main-add-ons". Perhaps using priorities to
decide what goes where. (That would help in the "official CDs" front, I
guess).

2) No clearly defined goals/roadmap/schedule. Brian made a good schedule
a year ago, but it wasn't followed at all.

3) No easy way to transfer work to backup maintainers. Some critical
positions (ftp.debian.org manager, for example) are a lot of work for a
single person, even a hard working one as Guy Maor. Those positions
should have well known co-maintainers ("well known" added for those that
fear "dilluted responsibility").

(more hints later...)

	Thanks,
--