Re: Hamm CD's

On Tue, 26 May 1998, Brandon Mitchell wrote:

> What happens if I try to install something that is in extra that depends
> on something from standard and I didn't bother to install it?

Why would you not want to install a standard package? ;-)

The reason I propose this reorganization has more to do with isolating the
"standard" system from the "rest". This would aid others trying to base a
commercial system on Debian because it would isolate the "fundamental
needs" of a system from the "application specific" portions.

>                                                                 The only
> way around this (that I see) is for apt (and other methods) to have a way
> to prompt the user to change cd's but order package installs to minimize
> swaping (with your method, it becomes a signle straight through pass, I
> like that).  It needs to update itself with a multi-cd package file, or do
> a pass through all the cd's.

I agree.

What about a "master" Packages file on the first CD which identifies the
volume that the package resides on. Then dselect and apt could do their
selection at the first CD, knowing that when another CD was required to
prompt the installer to switch.

For smooth operation this would still require that the packages on each CD
be organized in a dependency hierarchical fashion for minimal swapping.

You are right though, it will take some work on the part of dselect and
apt to deal with multi-volume archives, but, what the heck, if tar can
deal with it...

> I'm hoping for a better way,
> Brandon

Waiting is,