Re: SMP install (was Re: new debian-cd scripts)

On Thu, May 14, 1998 at 03:42:37PM +0100, Luis Francisco Gonzalez wrote:
> Eric Leblanc wrote:
> > I'm not really proposing a new distribution. Just some modification on the
> > actual Debian that could enable us to offer a nice service to our users.
> As it stands now, the only difference if you create and SMP kernel would be
> that the interested party needs to select another package with dselect which
> will substitute the kernel for the SMP one. The function of the bootdisks is
> to bootstrap the system. *No* server is installed without running dselect.

True.

> IMHO, also, if you are going to run SMP, you should probably compile your
> own kernel anyway but I have nothing against debian shipping an SMP kernel
> if people want, just not in the boot disks.

Well, one reason for having a SMP kernel available is that unfortunately,
lots of users are not able to easilly compile a kernel.

After thinking about it, i agree with your point about the boot disks.

Well, the best solution IMHO is to automagically install a SMP kernel if
SMP is availaible. I don't know enough about the install program to see if
it's possible or not without too much rewrite. Maybe someone can enlighten me?

Regards,

--
Eric Leblanc -- jughead@generation.net -- Be happy use GNU/Linux
As for the M$ pundits claim that the problems result from an